The more they melt the more they freeze

Its summer in the Northern Hemisphere soon, and like every warmer part of the annual seasons, the Arctic sheds some of the ice that froze over the cooler winter periods.

The ice extent is measured each cycle and we can compare each year to see how it’s going. Below is a comparison of the years from 2017 up till the current ice extent.

While the extent is below the median 1981 – 2010 extent, you can see that ice has been increasing the last few years. The lowest on record is 2012 and all subsequent years have been higher than 2012. A trend that you would have thought would be welcome to the sea level alarmists. But alas good climate news to the media and their audience is just like the relationship between their wives and girlfriends, they hope they never meet.

Looking at the Southern sea ice mass we see that 2017 was the lowest sea ice extent on record. The graph below shows the difference between 2017, 2021 and the current trend versus the grey area again being the 1981 to 2010 average. 2021 was an above average year. Given the crises we are in you would have to say that 21 was an over achiever. That’s probably why they focus on 2020’s northern hemisphere sea ice as no one likes a smarty pants. However 202o was a good year for the southern sea ice too.


In fact it has been so cold in the Antarctic that the lowest temperatures ever recorded on the greta southern continent occurred last winter.

But we can leave it up to that pinnacle of truth, the Time Magazine, to let us know what is really going on.

Time magazine claim burning fossil fuels will lead to 200 feet of sea level rise.


But wait, this is all sea ice isn’t it?

Those of you that did chemistry will know the interesting aspect of water. It is the only known substance that expands when it goes into its solid state. This is why ice floats as its mass increases but its weight does not. Most of you will know that 10% of the ice berg is above water leaving a huge 90% of the ice under the water.

So what happens to sea ice when it melts, does it raise the sea level?

The presentation below is a nice short experiment showing how much effect sea ice melt has on sea level

Oh dear Sea ice doesn’t effect sea level regardless of if it in a liquid or frozen state.

It’s the ice on land that is the stuff that could cause the sea level to rise faster than it has been since we started measuring the level.

Being in an interglacial period you would expect an increase in sea level. But 200 feet, or as we use in the decimal era 61 meters?

That would be a lot of ice melting on the continent of Antartica and Greenland.

We know the sea level has been higher than it is today. however last time it was unlikely to be fossil fuel burning. the image below shows why this was unlikely.

Ice is stored in the largest quantity in the Antarctic, (the place that had the coldest  winter ever last year). The volume of frozen water here makes up 87% of frozen water, and if it all melted (every last bit) the sea level would rise by 57.9 meters.

Greenland makes up 12.5% of frozen water and would rise the sea by 7.42 meters if all the ice was to melt into the sea.

Glaciers make up less that half of a percent and should these all wash into the seas, they would rise 32 cm.

So to get the 200 feet of sea level rise, we would need to see 91.7% of all the ice in the frozen parts of the world melt away.

I’m sure there will be a bunch of “yeah but’s” from the clever alarmists but I’m calling BS on that one.

I hate to pour cold water on your thesis there Time Magazine.

Pun Intended


Loading spinner
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x